The Italy team won their fourth World Cup, defeating their long-time rivals France in Berlin, on 9 July, 5–3 on penalty kicks after a 1–1 draw at the end of extra time. Play in Group E of the 2006 FIFA World Cup, The Azzurri won the group, and advanced to the second round, along with Ghana. The Czech Republic and the United States failed to advance. Italy team advanced to final against France after defeated Australia, Ukraine and Germany.
Gianluigi Buffon also won the Lev Yashin Award, given to the best goalkeeper of the tournament; he conceded only two goals in the tournament. In honour of Italy winning the FIFA World Cup for a fourth time, all of the World Cup Squad were awarded the Italian Order of Merit of Cavaliere Ufficiale.
Matches in which The Azurri wore with the blue home kits with the white shorts and the blue sock.
1. Beat AUSTRALIA 1-0 at Fritz Walter Stadion, Kaiserslautern ( Round of 16, 26 June 2006 )
2. Beat UKRAINE 3-0 at Stadion Hamburg, Hamburg ( Quarter-finals, 30 June 2006 )
Matches in which The Azurri wore with the home all blue kits.
1. Beat GHANA 2-0 at Stadion Hannover, Hanover ( First round, Group E, 12 June 2006 )
2. Draw UNITED STATES 1-1 at Fritz Walter Stadion, Kaiserslautern
( First round, Group E,17 June 2006 )
3. Beat CZECH REPUBLIC 2-0 at Stadion Hamburg, Hamburg
( First round, Group E,19 June 2006 )
4. Beat FRANCE 1-1 pk 5–3 (a.e.t.) at Olympiastadion, Berlin ( Final, 9 July 2006 )
The white away kits, however made no appearance at the 2006 FIFA World Cup.